Water is an important natural resource of Nepal. The immense quantity of water available in the country and its potentiality to irrigate significant percentage of the total agricultural land, provide us the opportunity of overcoming the barriers of economic development in this beautiful Himalayan country.
The responsibility of utilization and management of this resource lies in the Ministry of Irrigation. Preparation plan and policies and their implementation regarding development of irrigation for the efforts to achieve agricultural development targets are the objectives of this ministry.
As per the Work Division (Second Amendment) Rules, 2066 of Government of Nepal, this ministry has been entrusted with the following tasks:
- Development of policies, plan and implementation for conservation, regulation and utilization of irrigation.
- Conduct survey, research and feasibility study of irrigation and its utilization.
- Construction, operation and maintenance and promotion of multipurpose irrigation project.
- Development of Human Resources and their capacity building.
- Activities related to Flood and River Training.
- Study, research, feasibility study, construction, operation, maintenance and development of irrigation.
- Promotion of private parties in irrigation development.
- Study, research and implementation of water resources.
- Groundwater Resources.
- Construction, conservation, integrated use of irrigation facility (including programs related to farm irrigation and small irrigation) of Irrigation Projects.
- Matters related to national and international level seminars, workshops and contacts.
- Matters related to bilateral and multilateral dialogues, agreements and understandings regarding irrigation.
- Coordination of institutions related to irrigation.
- Matters related to tax on use of water.
- Water Induced Disaster Management and Prevention .
- Study, research and implementation of Water Induced Disaster.
- Development of policies, plan and implementation for conservation, regulation and utilization of Water Induced Disaster Prevention.
- International representative on subject of Water Induced Disaster.
- Matters related to recruitment, transfer, promotion, fixation of minimum qualification for first appointment, determination of subject and qualification to be accounted for promotion and departmental action of employees under following Engineering Services :-
- Meteorology Group
- Irrigation Sub-group